Dengue fever is nothing new in Singapore. But what’s troubling is that at the time of writing this article, there are now close to 5,500 dengue fever cases in Singapore—already exceeding the country’s total number of cases in 2021.
Dengue is endemic in tropical countries like Singapore. But with climate change, urbanization, and other factors, dengue fever has spread considerably.
For mamas like us, the increasing number of cases can be frightening, especially since the Aedes aegypti mosquito usually bites during the day–when children are often out and about.
“Even more worrying are studies that reveal severe dengue is more prevalent in children under five years old.”
Now more than ever is the time to be more vigilant about our surroundings and exert more effort into protecting our family from the threat and danger of dengue fever.
Characteristics and Symptoms of Dengue Fever in Babies
According to the Ministry of Health, dengue fever symptoms typically appear 4 to 7 days after the mosquito bite.
The symptoms of dengue fever in infants are usually tricky to recognize because they are similar to the flu. However, there are several characteristics of dengue fever, including:
- Sudden onset of fever for 2-7 days
- Lack of energy; joint and muscle pain
- Feeling restless to the point of crying a lot
- A rash appears
- Unusual bleeding appears in the gums or nose
- Easy bruising
- Vomiting 3 or more times in 24 hours
- Severe headache with pain behind the eyes
However, it should be noted that not all children experience all these symptoms. For example, some children don’t get a fever or a rash. However, if you suspect your little one has dengue, it’s always best to consult a paediatrician. To confirm if it’s dengue, doctors will request a blood test.
In severe cases, babies with dengue fever need to be hospitalized for fluid replacement therapy. If you are allowed to take care of a baby with dengue fever at home, follow the drug instructions given by the doctor.
How To Stay Safe From Dengue
It only takes one bite from an infected mosquito to transmit this dangerous disease to babies. Therefore, don’t let your little one get bitten by a dengue mosquito, mama! Here are several steps to protect your family from dengue:
- Discard standing water in open containers around the house
- Drape their strollers in mosquito netting when heading outside
- Dress your child in clothes that cover the arms and legs
- Install an electric mosquito killer at home
- Install screens on windows
- Routinely use a safe mosquito repellent that does not contain harmful ingredients for babies, both day and night, like Mama’s Choice Mozzbye Skin Protection Lotion, which provides 8-hour protection.
There is no shortage of mosquito repellents in Singapore – mamas are spoilt for choice, with options arriving in spray, lotion, patch, and other forms. Although effective in repelling mosquitoes, be careful because some mosquito repellents contain toxic ingredients that can harm babies.
What To Avoid In Mosquito Repellents
Beware of mosquito repellent ingredients sold in the market, including lotion products labelled ‘special for babies’ because not everything is free of toxins.
Here are some of the ingredients in mosquito repellent to watch out for in babies:
- DDT (dichloro-diphenyl-trichloroethane) contains toxins harmful to humans and the environment.
- DEET can cause rashes and irritation on sensitive baby skin.
- Other toxins include artificial fragrances, paraben, preservatives, and alcohol.
- Mamas should avoid mineral oil because it can coat and close the pores of the baby’s skin.
Chase Mosquitoes Away With Mama’s Choice
For mamas looking for a safe mosquito repellent, it’s time for you to discover Mama’s Choice Baby Mozzbye Protection Lotion!
This mosquito repellent is 100% safe for kids, even with sensitive skin, and is made from natural and toxin-free ingredients. In addition, this product is certified Halal, so all our mamas have nothing to worry about.
Tapping the power of 6 natural oils to repel mosquitoes, including andiroba oil and lavender oil, Mama’s Choice Mozzbye Skin Protection Lotion effectively protects baby’s skin from naughty mosquitoes for up to 8 hours.
Use Mama’s Choice Mozzbye Skin Protection Lotion day and night, after showering, and before bed to ensure no naughty mosquitoes harm your little one.
Those are the symptoms, characteristics, and ways to prevent dengue fever (dengue fever) in babies and how to prevent it. So let’s protect your little one from dengue fever with Mama’s Choice Mozzbye Skin Protection Lotion, and get yours now!
Hanna of Mama's Choice
A mama of one energetic toddler, Hanna likes to read books, watch baking shows, and play video games when her little one is asleep.