Breastfeeding in public is something that many mamas should never be ashamed of. But for some mamas, it can be a stressful experience, especially if it’s your first time being a parent.
Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world. Knowing that you can feed your baby whenever, wherever, is simply incredible.
But while breastfeeding in public is widely accepted, not all mamas share the confidence to nurse whenever their little one cries for breast milk. Some say they’re afraid of exposing themselves, while others are concerned that they may put off strangers.
No matter what that nagging worry is in your mind, we’re here to share simple yet effective ways to help you nurse without concern.
5 Tips To Help You Enjoy Breastfeeding in Public
1. Use a nursing cover
One of the easiest ways to have stress-free breastfeeding in public is to wear a nursing cover. There is no shortage of options for mamas, from aprons to scarves. All you need is to pick a style that works for you.
What are the different types of nursing covers?
- Nursing apron. With an apron-style nursing cover, you tie or pull it over your head and allow it to drape over your baby. This type of nursing cover is usually more structured and comes with an open neckline that lets you peek at your little one while she nurses.
- Nursing poncho. This nursing cover is similar to an apron–you slip it over your head. However, what sets it apart is that it provides complete coverage for feeding. So if you’re worried about exposing yourself, a nursing poncho is your best bet.
- Nursing scarf. This style of nursing cover is often dubbed the best because of its versatility. Even better, a nursing scarf can be worn like a regular scarf, so you don’t need to keep it in your diaper bag. With a nursing scarf, you simply pull it over your baby and drape it across your shoulders.
- Nursing shawl. Similar to a shawl, this type of nursing cover is loosely draped over your shoulders and comes with buttons to secure it for breastfeeding.
2. Use layered clothes or nursing tops
In tropical climates like Singapore, a nursing cover may not be a welcome idea for some mamas. If you breastfeed outdoors or under the sun, you may worry that your baby is getting hot and stuffy under the cover, right?
In that case, you can also wear nursing tops that come with discreet slits in front that you pull open whenever you need to nurse your child. If you’re afraid of too much exposure, consider wearing layered clothing instead.
Experienced mamas often recommend wearing the layering approach. It involves wearing a nursing top under another layer of the shirt. This way, you can pull up the outer shirt and pull down your inner top when your baby is ready to nurse.
3. Practice at home
As the old saying goes, practice makes perfect. Unfortunately, not all babies like being under a nursing cover, so it would be a good idea to take your nursing cover for a spin to get your baby used to it. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll feel more comfortable and confident breastfeeding in public.
4. Find a breastfeeding station or choose a comfortable spot
Breastfeeding is all about you and your baby. If possible, find a suitable location that allows you to nurse freely. Most indoor places have breastfeeding stations or family lounges, which you can use as a place to nurse until you gain the confidence to breastfeed openly.
5. Know that you’re not doing anything wrong
Let’s admit it. You can’t please everyone. But when you know your rights, you can have one less thing to worry about.
The Singapore Police Force, in an article published on theAsianparent, stated that “it is not an offence to breastfeed in public if the woman is decently clad and she does not expose her breast more than is necessary to breastfeed her child.”
Moreover, there is no law against breastfeeding in public. When you’re armed with such knowledge, you’re bound to feel more confident in what you’re doing–a completely natural thing!
Best Nursing Cover for Breastfeeding in Public
Are you ready to begin your journey of breastfeeding in public? Then, make sure you are prepared with the best possible breastfeeding cover. Mama’s Choice Multipurpose Nursing Cover is designed to make nursing your child on the go easier than ever.
To ensure it’s comfortable for you and your child, we used Spandex Rayon which is lightweight, delicate, and more moisture-absorbing than cotton. While it’s not an apron, it’s stretchy enough to let you take a peek at your child when you’re nursing.
Our nursing cover also comes in two simple designs that allow mamas to wear it with virtually anything in their wardrobe. But you know what’s even better? It’s exceptionally multifunctional! You can effortlessly use it as a stroller cover, a blanket, a makeshift playmat, a scarf, and more.
Hanna of Mama's Choice
A mama of one energetic toddler, Hanna likes to read books, watch baking shows, and play video games when her little one is asleep.