A manual breast pump may be one of the few things you’re considering buying in your breastfeeding journey. But is it worth it?
If you’re breastfeeding, pumping milk is something that must have crossed your mind every now and then. But if you’re a stay-at-home Mama, an electric breast pump may not be the right choice. Although it’s incredibly fast and effective in expressing milk, electric breast pumps are undeniably more expensive (especially if they’re the double electric ones!).
However, it’s still important for breastfeeding Mamas to empty the breasts in order to prevent clogged milk ducts. Even better, doing this also ensures you have a steady milk supply. So what’s the next best thing? A manual breast pump!
The Advantages of a Manual Breast Pump
Arriving in single and double designs, electric breast pumps are definitely more popular now, but there are still a few good reasons to get a manual breast pump. Besides being more affordable—yes, some manual breast pumps you can get at half the price of an electric pump—here are the advantages of a manual breast pump:
- You don’t need electricity or a battery to operate it
- It doesn’t have a lot of parts
- It’s easy to clean
- It’s simple to use
- It’s affordable
If you’re torn between an electric breast pump and a manual breast pump, have a look at our chart below.
What To Look For In A Manual Breast Pump
If you’re ready to get a manual breast pump, we recommend that you consider the following. This way, you can be sure that you get your money’s worth and don’t end up regretting your purchase.
- Small and lightweight. If you value portability, then you’re better off choosing a manual breast pump that’s light and won’t weigh a lot when you stash it in your bag.
- Comes with a BPA-free bottle. A pump that already comes with a bottle will allow you to use it right away. It would also be a huge plus if it comes with a teat so it can also be used as a feeding bottle.
- Easy to use design. With the variety of designs available in the market, choose manual pumps that have a handle. This way, it’s nearly effortless when you use it with either your left and right hand comfortably.
- Nipple and breast-friendly. Pumping can be painful if the pump you choose doesn’t fit well. Make sure the pump attaches to the breast well so pumping is as comfortable as possible.
In addition to these four tips on buying a manual breast pump, look into the brand as well. As much as possible, choose a trusted brand that is uncompromising in safety.
How To Use a Manual Breast Pump
Using a manual pump is nearly identical to using an electric breast pump. You simply need to place the breast shield on your breast, ensuring the nipple is at the centre. Then, squeeze the handle to begin expressing milk.
But for a more detailed step-by-step guide on how to express milk using a manual pump, check out the steps below.
- Wash your hands and make sure all parts of the breast pump are properly assembled.
- Find a comfortable spot to sit down. Think about your baby, play a piece of relaxing music or watch videos of your baby to help stimulate let down.
- Use one hand to hold the pump while the other hand supports the breast. Align the pump with your nipple.
- Start pumping. Sometimes it will take a few minutes before the milk starts to flow.
- You can adjust the pumping speed and strength to match your baby’s suckling. There’s no need to speed through the session, Mama.
- Change breasts every five minutes, making sure each breast gets a total stimulation of about 15 minutes. If you’re worried that one breast produces more milk, don’t worry about it. It’s pretty normal!
- When you are done pumping, remove the pump from your breast and close the milk storage bottle. You can also transfer it to a separate bottle or milk bag.
- Afterwards, wash your hands and all equipment that you used.
Tips: While pumping one breast, you can attach a silicone breast pump on the other breast. This can catch any milk that might leak from the other breast.
Discover Quality Breast Pump at an Affordable Price
Answering the need of our Mamas, meet Mama’s Choice Manual Breast Pump! Made of quality BPA-free materials, this breast pump is effortlessly easy to clean. With an innovative design to minimise discomfort and pain during pumping, it sure helps Mamas enjoy a pumping experience that is easier, safer, and more comfortable.
This pump comes in two colours—lilac and cream. Compact and lightweight, we’ve made sure that Mamas can bring this manual pump wherever they go. Plus, it comes with a silicone nipple and milk bottle!
How To Use Mama’s Choice Manual Breast Pump
The first step to using this breast pump is to assemble it first, of course. No worries, Mama, because it’s quite easy to assemble with the visual guide below.
The funnel, bottle, and other components of our manual breast pump are plastic-free and of BPA-free quality. As such, you can sterilise and boil them at 150 °C for 5 minutes after washing them.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean all breast pump parts before using them:
- Disassemble the pump and use a food-grade quality cleanser
- Use a soft-bristled brush to clean the silicone parts to avoid damaging or scratching them
- Rinse and clean all components with hot water
Isn’t it easy to use and clean the Mama’s Choice Manual Breast Pump? You can learn more about using this pump with the manual that comes when you purchase our pump. On that note, you can also get yourself the Mama’s Choice Intensive Nipple Cream to help you in your breastfeeding journey!
Hanna of Mama's Choice
A mama of one energetic toddler, Hanna likes to read books, watch baking shows, and play video games when her little one is asleep.