Have you ever wondered what there is to crawling apart from being one of the many milestones babies need to hit? Learn a thing or two about the benefits of crawling for babies in this article. Keep reading, Mama!
It seems like it was only yesterday when your little one started to smile, learned how to gnaw on toys, and had a taste of her first food. But in the blink of an eye, your baby has begun to master the art of crawling! Feels so surreal, doesn’t it?
Crawling is an integral part of a baby’s development, usually starting at six months. But in some babies, crawling can begin as late as 12 months. While most of us have an image of a crawling baby on our hands and feet, there are different baby crawling styles.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, some of the different crawling styles are:
- Classic hands-and-knees or cross crawl. Babies crawl on their hands and knees, with the opposite hand and knee moving forward simultaneously.
- Bear crawl. Similar to the classic crawl, they use their hands and feet. However, they keep their elbows and knees straight like a bear.
- Belly crawl. Instead of using the elbows and knees, babies who belly crawl use their bellies to drag themselves forward.
- Bottom scooter. As its name suggests, babies use their bottoms to move forward.
- Crab crawl. Named after how a crab moves, babies use their hands to move around.
- Rolling crawl. In this case, babies roll their way around the floor instead of using their limbs.
6 Benefits of Crawling for Babies
There’s more to crawling than just a way for babies to move and explore the world around them. Below are the 6 top benefits of crawling for babies–both physical and mental.
1. Prepares their hip joints for standing and walking
Crawling shapes and strengthens the hips so they’re better positioned to lift the body and move forward.
2. Helps develop various hand skills
For example, babies crawl and use their hands a lot. According to the Nationwide Children’s Hospital, this also helps strengthen and develop stability on their shoulders. In turn, they’re better able to control their hands for skills such as feeding, colouring, handwriting, and even getting dressed.
3. Encourages exploration and discovery
Nothing encourages babies’ to explore the world around them than with a bit of independence. The objects they could only gaze at from their cots will be something they’ll crawl to once they learn the art of crawling.
4. Learns how to navigate her environment
Crawling babies learn a lot about their environment, from textures to directions. With a little practice, your baby will have the confidence to move around as they figure out the lay of your home.
5. Develops problem-solving skills
From an object in their path to a dead end in front of them, crawling helps sharpen their problem-solving and decision-making skills.
6. Helps enhance depth perception
Crawling teaches babies firsthand if an object is close or far. According to pediatric occupational therapist Christie of MamaOT.com, babies “can begin to judge distance and size based on their experience of moving toward and away from objects as they crawl.:
Keep Your Floors Safe For Your Crawling Baby
When it comes to babies, wiping the floor with water isn’t enough. But, then again, using commercial floor cleaners isn’t ideal if you have a little one at home. You see, there are ingredients in certain household cleaning products that can affect your baby’s health–not to mention extremely dangerous if they accidentally swallow it!
That’s why we worked with our community of Mamas and experts to develop Mama’s Choice Baby Floor Cleaner, a safer floor cleaner inspired by nature. Our baby-safe floor cleaner is enriched with the natural antibacterial Rosemary Extract, Chamomile Extract to protect the baby’s sensitive skin and Lavender Oil for a naturally soothing scent.
Besides using the best of nature, we’ve made sure you have nothing to worry about every time you use our floor cleaner. It is food grade, hypoallergenic, certified Halal, and free of harmful chemicals like paraben, sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, alcohol, phthalates, and chlorine.
Ready to give our new Mamas Choice Baby Floor Cleaner a try? Get it now on Shopee and enjoy special discounts!
Hanna of Mama's Choice
A mama of one energetic toddler, Hanna likes to read books, watch baking shows, and play video games when her little one is asleep.